First Year Advising
Welcome to Queens College and a world of exploration and discovery. The Academic Advising Center is here to accompany you through the journey of your academic career. The college has welcomed over 1,300 new freshmen during 2014-2015. We hope to serve as a user-friendly resource to help current freshmen as well as prospective students and their families navigate academic life at Queens College.
Now that you have begun your first year at Queens College, you will need to focus on your academic success. To do so, you will need to develop time management and study skills, writing skills and, most important, your organizational skills. These are all essential components for academic success.
The Academic Advising Centerís website highlights important areas of the Freshman Advising Program and provides up-to-date news and events. We encourage all freshmen to take initiative, ask questions, and educate themselves about the many great opportunities and resources offered at Queens College.
Please tour our website and visit the Academic Advising Center in Kiely Hall, Room 217, if you have any questions or would like to speak to an advisor.
We look forward to seeing you soon!
Things to consider...
- Check your QC e-mail daily
- Pay attention to important dates and deadlines
- Know your resources: seek out academic advisement, course tutoring, and personal counseling before problems arise
- Get involved on campus: attend campus events, join student clubs and organizations
- Study for midterms and finals; do research at the Library, go to the Writing Center to revise mid-semester papers
- Visit academic departments to learn more about major, minor, and course offerings
- Meet with a career counselor to begin a resume, plan for future summer jobs, internships, find out about upcoming career plans, etc. (Itís never too early to plan ahead!)
- Freshman Grading Policy